Friday, March 15, 2013

NO More Yelling!

A friend of mine posted an article to her facebook wall this morning. I typically just scan down my home page looking for pictures, status updates, and those awesome inspirational pictures.... ignoring the rest. Well today I happened to see the title: "10 things I learned when I stopped yelling at my kids", and it stopped me in my tracks. I need to read this article.

I struggle with yelling. That is kinda how things were dealt with in my house growing up. Lots of yelling. So, naturally, I revert to yelling when I get upset.. especially when my daughter refuses to listen, and argues with me... because.. I feel that I am always right! I am the mom. You do what I say. RIGHT?! Wrong!

She shares 10 things she learned by cutting out yelling. My favorite of these things is #2. Perhaps because it describes me completely:
"#2: My kids are my most important audience. When I had my "no more yelling epiphany", I realized that I dont yell in the presence of others because I want them to believe I am a loving and patient mom. The truth is, I already was that way... but rarely when I was alone, just always when I was in public with an audience to judge me. This is so backwards! I always have an audience - my four boys are always watching me and THEY are the audience that matters most; they are the ones I want to show just how loving, patient and "yell-free" I can be. I want my boys to judge me and proclaim, "My mommy is the bestest mommy ever!" I remember this whenever I am home and thinking I cant keep it together; obviously I can...I do it out and about all the time!"

Its so true!! Why am I worried about pleasing others? My most important role in this life is to be a mother, and my number one goal should be to be a GOOD one. To please my KIDS. To show HER that I can be loving and patient. I want my daughter to be a wonderful mother.. and I am, by my actions, teaching her what kind of mother she needs to be.

HERE is the link to the article.. it is worth reading!

No comments:

blog background